Join our Team!
The Legal Clinic (TLC)’s mission is to restore hope, dignity, and justice to Hawaii’s low-income immigrants through high-quality immigration legal services, education, and advocacy. TLC is a small Honolulu-based nonprofit organization incorporated in 2019. TLC is the Hawaiʻi affiliate of the Justice for Our Neighbors (JFON) network, which was founded in 1999 by the United Methodist Committee on Relief. Every year, JFON serves 5,000 immigrants at 19 sites across the United States.
Staff immigration attorney – job opening
The Legal Clinic (TLC/JFON Hawaiʻi) is seeking a qualified immigration attorney to join our team in late September 2021.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
The TLC immigration staff attorney is primarily responsible for the direct representation of low-income immigrant clients seeking representation in a variety of immigration law matters. This includes the following duties:
- Provide legal advice and direct representation to clients on a wide range of matters including naturalization, adjustment of status, asylum, U visa, T visa, TPS, DACA, removal defense, bond hearings and habeas petitions, and more.
- Represent clients before agencies and courts, such as the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR), the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA), the U.S. District Court for the District of Hawaiʻi, and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Train, supervise, and mentor pro bono attorneys, Accredited Representatives, fellows, interns, and other volunteers.
- Conduct educational presentations about immigration laws and policies for public audiences.
- Work with the organization’s community partners to promote public awareness of and advocacy for immigrant rights.
- Advise the board and other colleagues on legal trends pertinent to the organization and its mission.
- Engage with the National JFON network through monthly meetings (by phone and/or video), an email list-serv, and occasional in-person meetings with other JFON attorneys around the country.
- Manage client documentation and assist with data reporting and other administrative responsibilities as required.
The immigration staff attorney reports to the senior staff attorney.
Knowledge & Skills
- Knowledge of immigration law and procedure.
- Licensed to practice law and in good standing in any state. Desired but not required: Hawaiʻi State Bar membership.
- Strong commitment to public interest legal service and to the enfranchisement and empowerment of immigrant communities.
- Ability to work sensitively with numerous clients, staff, and volunteers having diverse personalities, lifestyles, cultures, political orientations, and faiths.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to make mature, experienced legal and business judgments.
- Ability to communicate clearly, persuasively, logically, and succinctly—both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to remain flexible in a demanding work environment and adapt to rapidly changing priorities.
- Analytical, organizational, and conceptual skills to handle various projects and programs.
- Ability to identify, analyze, and research legal issues affecting the organization, and make decisions to address the problem.
- Minimum of two (2) years legal practice experience required, preferably with some immigration law focus.
- Desired but not required: prior public interest or nonprofit experience.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
This position is full time, beginning late September 2021. Salary range is $60K-$70K (full-time, annual), depending on experience and qualifications. A robust benefits package includes health insurance, 401(k) benefits after trial period, generous time off, flexible schedule, parking subsidy, and professional development opportunities.
Please submit cover letter (or email) and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position to begin in late September 2021 will remain open until filled, but applications received by June 15, 2021 will receive priority consideration. Those invited to interview will also be asked to provide a writing sample and three contacts as reference.
The Legal Clinic is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer