REPORTS TO: A TLC Immigration Attorney
HOURS: Full-time, Mon-Fri; occasional evening and weekend events throughout the year
ORGANIZATIONAL DESCRIPTION: The Legal Clinic (TLC), a Honolulu, Hawaiʻi-based nonprofit organization, is seeking candidates for a legal assistant. Position to begin immediately. TLC’s mission is to restore hope, dignity, and justice to Hawaii’s low-income foreign-born residents through high-quality immigration legal services, education, and advocacy. TLC was incorporated as an independent, secular 501(c)3 nonprofit in 2019, and is the Hawaiʻi affiliate of a national immigrant justice network. Please visit www.thelegalclinichawaii.org for more information.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The legal assistant is responsible for providing legal support to the staff attorneys as well as reception and administrative assistance for TLC operations. Under the supervision and mentorship of an attorney, the legal assistant will handle reception and client screening duties and carry out tasks to support the legal services team. This is an excellent opportunity to learn about immigration legal services and to do great work for the community!
I. Legal Services Support (much of the following can be learned through on-the-job experience)
- Assist legal team staff in preparing forms, statements, affidavits, cover letters, motions, petitions, briefs, and appeals.
- Research information relating to client cases, immigration law/policy, and helpful resources.
- Secure language interpretive and translation services for client matters and appointments.
- Prepare for United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) interviews, including, general file review and summary, arranging for interpretive services, drafting of witness questions and trial preparation documents, and attendance at both interviews and hearings when necessary.
- Assist with client communication and document client interactions and case progress updates in the client case management system.
- Assist in making copies and scans, organizing and maintaining case files, and mailing applications to USCIS as directed.
II. Administrative Support
- Provide reception duties (phones, in person) and client screening, scheduling, and intake. Serve as the primary in-office receptionist most weekdays. The expectation is for this person to be in the downtown Honolulu office at 9am at least 4 days a week.
- Support attorneys and other members of the legal team with meeting preparation, calendaring, notetaking, and follow-up action steps.
- Assist in maintaining internal procedures documentation for TLC legal services.
- Assist with preparing, tracking, copying, and sending outgoing mail, and with digitalizing and storing client files (data and document management).
- Assist in coordinating, preparing for, and overseeing TLC intern & volunteer projects and events.
- Other administrative tasks as needed.
III. Special Projects
- Assist other staff with—and/or represent TLC at—community events and benefit functions.
- Track and support implementation of a language access plan for the organization.
- Compile data and help draft reports for funders and other organizations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree, or higher, preferred.
- Previous administrative assistant or legal assistant experience preferred.
- Must be detailed oriented and possess superb organizational skills.
- Ability to work sensitively with colleagues and clients having diverse personalities, lifestyles, cultures, faiths, and backgrounds.
- Ability to maintain client confidentiality and communicate with professionalism and courtesy.
- Ability to take initiative, multi-task, meet deadlines, and work well under pressure.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software such as Word, Excel, Teams, and PowerPoint. Ability to learn legal case management software (currently FastVisa) and other databases/CRM
- Demonstrated interest in supporting immigrant and migrant rights.
- Ability to speak in one or more languages aside from English desired, but not required.
- Familiarity with communities in Hawai‘i and/or immigrant communities is desired.
Compensation & Benefits: Full-time salary range of $42k-$50k annually, DOE. Candidates with prior U.S. Department of Justice Accreditation (ACR) status would be compensated at a higher rate. A generous benefits package includes health/vision/dental insurance, 401k benefit with employer contribution after a period of service, unlimited paid time off, and professional development opportunities. Occasional work-from-home time negotiable after initial training period.
To Apply: Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Position open until filled.
The Legal Clinic is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, or disability.